Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Introduction

We are first going to start off with how I decided to have this study theme.  A few weeks ago in youth group, our leader asked a few questions about the Holy Spirit.  We had to write our answers on a 3x5 card and hand it in for him to review.  He made the point that as Christians, we don't really know what we ought to.  We don't know our doctrine like we should.  We are to have an answer to any question someone (believer or non-believer) asks us.  If we don't have the answer we are to research it through the Bible and come up with an answer.  

He used the example of how my Uncle is a mechanic.  He said, "If I would go to his garage and ask him about something that I believe needs fixed on my car, and he doesn't know what it is, do you think I would want him working on my car?"  Same goes with us.  If we are labeled 'Christian', yet we don't know answers to basic questions, are people going to think we are real?

--------------------------

Our Sunday School teacher asked us this question.  "Where did the Bible come from/who wrote the Bible?"  He wanted to know who wrote it, how they knew what to write, and all of that.  Well, Sunday he put us on the spot and asked us to answer the question.  I looked up 2 Timothy 3:16 which says, "All scripture is given by the inspiration of God..."  He asked me to explain it, and in the end he said I had a pretty decent answer.  

Through all of these questions about doctrine, I thought I should brush up on my knowledge and actually learn what I needed to know.  I had been praying that the Lord would show me how to use my blog, or what study I should do.  

I will be starting off with 2 Timothy 3:16 tomorrow.  I'm going to do my best with Greek language and meanings of words.  At the end of each post I will have a Resources section where I will post resources that I used to find my information.

I hope you all enjoy the study, and if you have any questions, just ask, and please leave comments so I know someone other than myself is benefitting from this study.

Thanks for reading!

-Emily

1 comment:

  1. Love the thoughts, Em! I like the way your site is put together. Thanks also for sharing your Memorial Day photos. When people see a young person doing what is right, it encourages them to do the same.
    Keep digging deeper!

    ReplyDelete